Throughout the course of this project we did many things from building background knowledge on the past problems of the work force all the way to recording and making our own podcasts. We began the project by learning all about the industrial revolution and how the major problems of the work force began at that time. We read many articles and readings about workers attempting to unionize and strike and the employers trying to stop this. Along with this we learned the horrific things people were forced to do, due to the conditions caused by the industrial revolutions. We used Historical Thinking Documents to organize the information we were getting to use later in the project. After that we began focusing on A.I. and the advancements we are making with robots. A main concern we focused on were the pros and cons of how they will impact the future work force. Finally we started getting ready to make our podcasts, we played around for a few days with possible topics to focus on. After this we began making our podcasts by planning out the next few weeks and making things like scripts. We did this for a few days, then recorded for about a week and ended by editing for the last few days of the project.
In Class Timed Writing-
1. What was the greatest challenge that you faced in the project and what did you do to overcome that challenge? My greatest challenge throughout this project was the time frame the project had. While doing this project the time that we had to do things was very stressful due to the way that we used our time. Through the project we tended to get distracted at times. We didn’t procrastinate the entirety of the project however the times that we did added up and made for a stressful end of the project. Due to the fact that I was working with a friend it was hard to stay focused while doing our work, especially when we worked too much and needed breaks that we could sometimes take advantage of. However because I was working with a friend it was easier to communicate with the things I wanted to change, and when things needed to get done.
2. If you could go back and do the project again what would you do differently and why? If I could go back and do the project again I would have accounted for more time to fine tune problems at the end. I was actually very excited with how our project ended up, we faced a lot of problems while recording our clips and also while editing. We thought that we would be able to edit at the end more quickly and some issues went at the end unresolved. Along with this, the program we were editing in had some malfunctions, we should have thought more about lost time used for problem solving.
3. What is the greatest insight you gained about the state of labor issues today? Think back through the entire project, historical context, the presentations, globalization, and your podcast production. The greatest insight I learned about the state of labor issues was that living wage will never be enough for a livable lifestyle. While researching this topic we mostly focused on the fact that barely one person can live a healthy life on minimum wage let alone when they have to support another person or a whole family. When we were researching the background information for this project mothers would leave their children in the street if they were unable to take care of them. Now that is not something that we see as much however many mothers and families are not able to take care of and support their children when they dont get paid a livable wage.
4. What are you most proud of in your project? This could be something very small and not visible to me or the audience. Help me understand why you are so proud of this piece. What I am most proud of in our final project is the interview that we have in it. I think that the information we included is valid and helps to give the podcast relevant information. The woman we interviewed was very sweet and helpful and gave us a lot of useful stuff to put in our podcast. What she says comments and builds on our actual recordings and builds up what we talk about to expand on it more.
5. Explain one way you grew as a student during this project. It is not when we are comfortable and know how to do a task that we grow, it is often when we are the most challenged or have struggled through something that we grow. So what will you be better at now? Over the course of the project I feel like I overall became more responsible with the work I was doing and how I was doing it. Like I have said at the beginning of the project it was really hard for me to stay focused and on track. As the project progressed and the work started to get harder I knew I had to put more in if I was going to get anything out of the project, I started to use my class time more productively and definitely saw myself getting more work done that I was more proud of. I have started to be more responsible and productive with the workload I've gotten.